My Smart Meter data
To download a PDF version of this article click here.
What information do you collect from my Smart Meter and how often?
Your Smart Meter will send readings to us automatically, using mobile communication technology. We’ll collect information about your energy usage so we can provide you with a number of benefits, such as accurate bills.
We can collect your readings half hourly, daily or monthly, depending on your preference. Your readings will be sent to us on a daily basis as this is the default. But, with your preference set to half hourly, you'll get the full benefits of your usage graph and My Energy features. This will help you to save your energy, therefore your money.
You can change your preference to half-hourly or monthly here, or by calling 01926 320 700.
How will you use my energy usage information?
The readings sent by your Smart Meter include many benefits. They are used to:
- calculate and produce accurate bills for you;
- calculate your monthly payment amount, if you pay by Direct Debit;
- help to provide you with personal and relevant energy saving advice through My Energy;
- provide you with a quote for our other tariffs, and;
- regularly update your energy usage graph so you can keep track of your energy spend.
What are my rights and choices?
- You can tell us how often you’d prefer us to collect your meter readings (half-hourly, daily or monthly) through My Account, here, or by calling 01926 320 700.
- You can tell us how often you’d like us to collect your readings at the time of installation or after. If you don’t tell us within seven days, we’ll continue to collect your readings on a daily basis.
Is my information secure?
All of our Smart Meters are certified to the security standards set out in our Supplier License and the Smart Energy Code (SEC).
Is there anything I can do to keep my energy information secure?
Although we do everything we can to keep your information safe, there are a few things you can do as well:
- When accessing personal information from your in-home display unit (IHD), laptop or any other device, make sure no one else can view this without your permission.
Will my information be shared with anybody?
We don’t sell your information and we only share your energy usage information with:
- network operators as we work with them to supply your energy;
- law enforcement agencies, to prevent fraud or criminal investigations, and;
- Opinion Matters, who may contact you after your Smart Meter installation to ask you some questions about how it went. This is to ensure that we’re following industry regulations. Don’t worry, your responses to their survey will be kept anonymous and Opinion Matters will not share your information.
- Our Smart Meter user guide
- A data guide is available from the EnergyUK website.
- You can find out more about the personal information we hold for you in our terms and conditions.