Help & advice

‹ back to categories

How do I make a complaint?

Our goal is to provide you with the very highest standards of customer service. In the unlikely event that you’re unhappy with our service and would like to make a complaint, please get in touch with our customer services department:


Complete our online complaints form and we’ll be in touch.

Tel: 01926 320 700
Typetalk: 18002 01926 320 700

Write to: 
Customer Services
First Utility
PO Box 4360
CV34 9DB

Alternatively you can complain via Resolver

We work with Resolver, an independent complaints service. Click below to raise your complaint via their simple online process, and we'll work with them towards a swift resolution for you.

Complain via Resolver

How we deal with your complaint

  • we aim to handle all complaints as soon as we can
  • we’ll usually try to resolve any issues at the time of your first call or contact
  • we’re committed to responding in writing within 10 working days
  • we’ll make a record on your customer account of any conversations between us and how the issue has been resolved.

If we need to collect any further information or investigate the complaint in more detail, we will give you a reference number for any future contact and keep you updated on progress until the issue is resolved satisfactorily.

Get a copy of our Complaints Policy and Procedures

You can download full details of our Complaints Policy and Procedures.

Guaranteed Standards of Service

Guaranteed and Overall Standards of Service are obligations we’re required to meet. These include appointments scheduled for work on your meter. You can download our Guaranteed Standards of Service policy.

Gas and Electricity (Consumer Complaints Handling Standards) Regulations 2008

In 2008, Ofgem introduced new complaint handling standards in line with the Gas and Electricity (Consumer Complaints Handling Standards) Regulations 2008.

If you want a hard copy of the Regulations, contact the Stationery Office on 0870 600 5522.

1 October 2010 and 30 September 20112044
1 October 2011 to 30 September 20126966
1 October 2012 to 30 September 201320,871
1 October 2013 to 30 September 201426,311
*Complaints from residential customers which could not be resolved on the same day or the next working day after the complaint was received.

Why can complaint resolution be delayed?

Delays to complaint resolution generally occur when:

  • the complaint needs more detailed investigation or
  • more information is required from a third party to make sure that the complaint is dealt with to the standard that our customers expect.

You can find further information on the Consumer Complaints Handling Standards at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1898/contents/made

How can I get independent advice?

You can also get independent advice from consumer organisations, such as Citizens Advice. You can contact their advsiors at any point in the complaint process. Find contact details on the Citizens Advice website.

Free independent advice is also available from the Energy Ombudsman:

Tel: 0330 440 1624 or 01925 530263
Fax: 0330 440 1625 or 01925 5302640
Textphone: 0330 440 1600

Write to:

Ombudsman Services: Energy
PO Box 966

Email: enquiries@os-energy.org

Website: http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

‹ back to categories

Did you find this information useful?

Need help?