Are you worried about being able to afford to keep your home warm this winter? We may be able to help you with our Warm Home Discount Scheme.
Set up in 2011, the scheme gets energy companies and the Government working together to provide financial support to customers who are in, or at risk of being in, fuel poverty. It runs from September to March and means that we can offer qualifying customers a rebate of £140 on their winter electricity costs.
How do I apply?
Step 1 – Read the eligibility criteria* and the terms and conditions of the scheme below to check whether you’re eligible to apply.
Step 2 – If you are eligible, you can use the application form link at the top right of this page and fill in your details to apply for the scheme.
Step 3 – We’ll contact you within six weeks to let you know if you have qualified for the rebate. Please note this is a first-come first-served scheme and there is no guarantee of qualification. If you receive an email to say you have qualified for the payment, this will be paid by March 31 2015.
Some people will automatically qualify for the Warm Home Discount and are in what is called the Core Group. If you fall into this group, you will receive a letter direct from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you have received a letter you do not need to contact us and your rebate will be automatically applied to your account by March 31 2015. For more information about the Core Group, see below.
If you have not received a letter from DWP you may be eligible to apply for the Broader Group.
To be eligible to apply for this, you, or your partner living with you, must meet one of these Eligibility Criteria Sets:
You receive Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of Core Group above)
You receive one of the following benefits:
- Income support, or
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or
- Income based Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA)
- The Universal Credit equivalent of one of the above three benefits
- there is a child aged 18 years or under living with you who is in full time education, or
- there is a child aged 5 years or under living with you, or
- you (or your partner living with you) are receiving one or more of these additional benefits:
- you have a work related or support component to your employment and support allowance, (or Universal Credit equivalent) or
- Disability Premium, Enhanced Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium, or;
- Pensioner Premium, Higher Pension Premium or Enhanced Pensioner Premium.
Your gross annual household income** is less than £16,010
AND one or more of the following applies to your home:
- there is a child aged 18 years or under living with you who is in full time education
- there is a child aged 5 years or under living with you
- you, or your partner, is aged 62 or over
- you receive Income Related Benefit which includes a Carer’s Premium
- you receive Personal Independence Payments, Disability Living Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Attendance Allowance for yourself or for another adult or child living with you
- you receive exemption from NHS prescription charges (where such charges normally apply) because you have on-going / chronic illness
- you are registered disabled
- you are living with a mental or physical disability or illness
** Household income includes War Disablement Pension, Disablement Pension Allowance and Working Tax Credit. Household income excludes Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payments, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit; and is before tax and National Insurance are deducted (gross income).
If you feel you are eligible for the discount, please read the Warm Home Discount Scheme terms and conditions before you apply. Before applying you MUST be a First Utility customer on electricity supply with a valid account number. In order to receive your discount you must be a customer on supply at the time of payment by March 31 2015.
*Please note that eligibility does not necessarily guarantee you a payment because the scheme is first come first served. Once the available funding runs out, the scheme will close to new applicants.
To apply for the scheme click here.
Your rebate payments
If you successfully qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme, you will receive your £140 fuel rebate by the end of March 2015 or sooner.
The Core Group
You will qualify as part of the Core Group if you, or your partner living with you, are either:
- Receiving only the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (no Savings Credit - no age restriction)
- Aged 65 or over and receiving both the Guarantee and Savings element of Pension Credit
If either of these apply, the DWP should write to you this autumn and let you know. They will also notify us so we can pay your rebate and you do not need to contact us about this.
You can see our Frequently asked questions here.